UMBRIAN WINE TOURS
Umbria is a land particularly suited to viniculture. Its moderate climate and gentle rolling hills that favour exposure to the sun, all contribute in making such excellent Umbrian wines, produced by the wine growers of the region since ancient times.
Four wine-roads have been identified that retrace evocative routes with particular reference to the places where the named products originate: ‘Strada del Vino dei Colli del Trasimeno', close to Trasmeno Lake,‘del Cantico', from Assisi to Todi, ‘del Sagrantino', in Montefalco and Bevagna area, ‘Etrusco-Romana', from Orvieto to Amelia.
Our wine tours include visits to family-run wine cellars in the most famous Umbrian wine regions with tasting of the local produce along with accompanying local food products. To let travellers meet personally the wine makers, wine tasting are guided by the owner/producer of the cellar wines. These visits are always accompanied by Discovering Umbria staff, Alessandra and Leonardo, your food&wine local guides.
Our wine tours won the prestigious prize “Italian Responsible Tourism Award 2010”, a prize based on quality criteria established by UNWTO (The United nations World Tourism Organisation)
WINE WEEK – WINE WEEKEND – Home-base Todi
Use our planning services to choose the wine weekend or wine week that you want. Tell us your plans and we will be happy to create your journey together.
Accommodation in hotel 4 stars, farm-houses, b&b and apartments, starting from 2 nights stays in Todi.
BOOK YOUR WINE TOUR!
Our wine tours run all year round and they are available starting from just 1 participant, to small groups of 12-14 people.
Discounts and offers
10% discount if you book min. 2 tours + additional 10% discount if you stay in one of our accommodation in Todi.
Quotation is calculated on the number of participants and Season (low/high): please contact us for prices and availability
WINE TOUR “ON THE SAGRANTINO'S ROAD”
1 day to discover Sagrantino’s lands, Bevagna, Montefalco and its famous DOC-DOCG vines.
Sagrantino di Montefalco DOC wines are named after the Sagrantino grape from which they are made. Cultivated for centuries on the hills of Umbria, Sagrantino is considered the only one really autochthonous vine and its DOCG (that means "di origine controllata e garantita"-checked and guaranteed origin) makes a major contribution to the reputation the Region of Umbria has earned as producer of fine wines.
- Departure from Todi for the full day excursion on the Sagrantino Road .
- On the way to Bevagna stop to admire the amazing view of Todi.Second stop to Santuario di Madonna delle Grazie from which it is possibile to see the cities of Assisi, Spello, Foligno and the valley of Mount Subasio.
- Transfer to the oil mill and visit to the ancient olive tree grove where there is the possibility to see 400 hundreds years old trees.
- Light lunch with “bruschetta” bread with extra virgin olive oil and vegetables of the season. Arrival in Bevagna and short introduction of the town.
- Stop for relax and free visit.
- Transfer and visit to a family-run winery located between Bevagna and Montefalco.
Visit to the cellar. Wine tasting including:
- Grechetto - Colli Martani DOC – white wine
- Rosso di Montefalco DOC – red wine
- Sagrantino DOCG – red dry wine
- Sagrantino DOCG passito – red sweet wine
- The wines are served in matching with a mix of cold cuts, bruschetta bread, local “pecorino” cheese and sweet tozzetti = cookies
WINE TOUR “THE SECRETS OF THE WINE IN TODI”
1 day at a family-run winery in the countryside near Todi to learn the secrets of the vine cultivation and wine production of Grechetto di Todi DOC.
Grechetto di Todi was cited by the Roman historian, Pliny the Elder, writing in the 1 st century B.C. in his Historia Naturalis , “ peculiaris est tudernis” (it is typical of Todi) referring to the particular vine which produces a dry white wine with a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- Departure from Todi.Arrival at family-run winery in the beautiful countryside of Todi.
- Meeting with the owner and walking tour in the vineyard.
- Visit to the cellar. Wine tasting including:
- Grechetto di Todi DOC – white wine
- Sangiovese IGT – red wine
- Merlot IGT – red wine
- The wines are served in matching with a mix of cold cuts, bruschetta bread, local “pecorino”, traditional flat bread with ham.
- On the way back, walking tour in the historical centre of Todi.
WINE TOUR “THE WINE PRODUCTION” IN ORVIETO
1 day to discover the ancient history of the wine production in Orvieto, called in the past times "Oinarea", "the city where the wine flows" and its famous Orvieto Classico DOC.
Orvieto Classico is one of the best known white wines from Central Italy. It boasts a long history that dates back to medieval times, when it was the favorite wine of the Papacy, and even reaches back to the time of the Etruscan.. It is a classic Italian white, made from native vines - Grechetto, Trebbiano and Malvasia - grown in vineyards surrounding the historic hilltop town of Orvieto.
- Departure from Todi. Arrival in Orvieto and guided walk to the historical centre and the famous Duomo.
- Arrival at the “Regional Wine Center”. Visit and guided wine tasting by Sommelier English speaking including:
- Orvieto Classico DOC – white wine
- A red wine chosen by the Sommelier among the wines exhibited every month at the “Regional Wine Center”
- The wines are served in matching with a mix of cold cuts, bruschetta bread, local cheese, traditional cheese bread “Lumachelle” typical of Orvieto.
WINE TOUR “DOCG TORGIANO”
The production area includes the entire territory of the beautiful Medieval town of Torgiano, dedicated in ancient times to the god Janus (Torgiano means Janus' tower). Built on the confluence of the river Tiber with the river Chiascio, it is immersed among hills covered in vineyards and olive groves. In 1968 this amazing territory was the first to be awarded the DOC in Umbria.
The grapes cultivated in this area are the red Sangiovese and Canaiolo and the white Trebbiano.
- The tour includes 1 half day guided visit to one of the most important wineries of the area, followed by a wine tasting and a light lunch based on high quality products and seasonal ingredients.
- Horseback riding: for those who love nature, the winery offers also a 45 minute tour on horseback (no experience necessary) through the vineyards.
WINE TOUR “ASSISI AND ITS WINE”
1 day in the Holy City of Assisi, followed by a visit to a family-run winery with an amazing view on the ancient city.
The area surrounding Assisi produces very good white and red wines, like the local Grechetto, made with grapes from the vine of the same name and possibly with the addition of other local white grapes and the Novello (=new wine), made with Sangiovese and Merlot grapes, to which other local red grapes may be added.
- Departure from Todi.Arrival in Assisi and guided tour with licensed tour guide to Saint Francis Church and to the other monuments. Free time for shopping and relaxing. Transfer to a family-run winery located at the foot of the basilica of San Francesco with an extension of almost 50 acres consisting of grapevines and olive groves. Meeting with the owner and walking tour in the vineyard. Wine tasting including:
- Grechetto IGT – white wine
- Sangiovese IGT – red wine
- Merlot – Sangiovese IGT – red wine
- The wines are served in matching with local salami and cheese, bruschetta bread with extra-virgin olive oil produced by the company.